Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cake Decorating Tutorial: My Little Pony Cake

Yes I know, I'm just terrible as I promised this post on my Facebook 2 MONTHS AGO!! But here it finally is; my cake decorating tutorial. The technique I use for this cake, called a frozen butter cream transfer, is best for kids cakes. Enjoy, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!


Lets start with supplies:
Coloring page (I traced the characters from coloring books we had to create the picture I used, but you can print yours or pull it out of a coloring book)
Parchment or wax paper (enough to fully cover your picture)
Tape to tape your picture to your wax paper
Pastry bags, couplars (these hold the frosting tips onto the bag), and various frosting tips (in this tutorial I only use the round tip pictures here and a star tip to create a cake border)
Frosting gel colors (I like the AmeriColor brand best, and yes the gel colors are a must, regular food coloring thins the frosting out too much)
Butter cream frosting (the recipe I use is 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and 2 Tbsp milk)
Several small bowls and spoons to mix each frosting color in.
A cake of course! 

First decide what colors you need and for what areas of the picture. I am using a very detailed picture for this cake with a lot of colors, so I wrote it all down!
Next I like to mix all of the colors I will need. I only needed a small amount of each color.

It's much easier to fill your pastry bag by placing it inside a cup and folding the end over the edge of the cup. Push all the frosting to the bottom of the bag and twist (this keeps you from getting a terrible mess leaking out the other end and also help you keep a steady pressure on the bag). 
Next tape your wax paper onto your picture. I also like to place it on top of a cake board to keep it flat when transferring it back and forth from the freezer. Now take your black (or other color) and outline your entire picture. 
DON'T go this detailed for your first cake, but this is easy, so after you've done a couple you can get pretty ambitious!
I didn't outline some of the small details, like the ponies cutie marks and stripes in their manes. 
Freeze for about 20 minutes after this step to make sure your outline hardens. If you don't freeze between each color addition, your outline will become too soft and you will mess up your picture. After the first 20 minute freeze, a 5 minute freeze between color additions is sufficient.

Now begin adding one color at a time. Notice the 2nd pony from the top on the right side? I have filled in her eyes with white and added her cutie mark (that's the red spot you see on her flank). Now I can fill her body color in. In doing this I will cover her cutie mark and other details such as her nose and mouth, as show below.
Now keep filling in your picture. Remembering to freeze for 5 minutes between each color addition. 



Almost finished! Isn't it cute?! Now comes one of the most important steps. For this step you can either use white icing or the color you are using to frost your cake. You are going to cover the entire picture with a layer of frosting. This helps it transfer much better. After this, freeze your picture for another 15 or 20 minutes, I frosted my cake while I waited!

Oh look, there's the birthday girl with some super crazy hair!! 
Now transfer your picture!

Pretty, ain't it?
Add any writing you'd like and a border at the bottom. 

I found these adorable pre-made flower and thought they were perfect!

Here's the finished product! I love using this technique and my girls always love their cakes when I do!! 

Hope you enjoyed this!








No comments:

Post a Comment